December 14, 2017

December #1

December #1

In this short month of December, I have only researched a little more, into technology and into companies.

          In the study, The RWTH-PHOENIX-Weather Database of German Sign Language, that my engineering mentor helped me find, I learned that their current technology mainly uses video recognition and to locate, detect, and recognize sign language movements. The included pictures illustrate the details how they spot distinguishable points on people's faces, hands, joints, etc. to decide what movement it is. Facial expression as part of sign language expression is included besides hand movements.
          Another key point I realized is that, all the detection are conducted from an outside point of view. However, I've been envisioning my translator to be worn by deaf people themselves, so that the sign language detection needs to be done from the other direction, deaf people's points of view. This is going to be a big challenge that I will consider now.

          On Kitware, Inc.'s website,  the company that my on-campus business mentor recommended to me, I figured out that they have cooperated with many open-source platforms on software development or prototyping. They also provide services of counseling and training to start-up companies, in data analysis, software computing, and more.
          After coming back from winter break in January, I will start focusing on the business part with Ms. Bernard and decide what parts I need to dig in first, and I will consider reaching out to Kitware and other companies of this kind for help accordingly.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your consistent posting during the end of the semester. Your entries are substantial and interesting. I appreciate your efforts and think that you are well-poised for the next term!

    ReplyDelete